Monday, 8 June 2015

Eaton Cottage

Eaton Cottage - Copyright James M Lambert 2015
Name: Eaton Cottage (Previously Eaton Cottage Tavern, and just plainly, The Eaton)
Address: 75 Mount Pleasant, Norwich NR2 2DQ
First Beer Sampled: Norfolk Brewhouse Moon Gazer IPA

In the Eaton suburb of Norwich, on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Unthank lies a traditional neighborhood pub that screams "proper local" if ever one did.  The outside, in its simple, rustic nature and relatively new red trim (many a few colors have shaded the building over the years, once even being a rather supportive Canary green, yellow and white), outshines the inside in my humble opinion.  But please don't take that negatively... the well lived interior is both calm and relaxing and every bit of what one would expect from a longtime neighborhood watering hole.

First recorded in 1864 with Charles Thomas Read (a grocer by trade) as owner, the torch was carried on by his widow, Emma, for seven years after his death in 1896.  As evident by the keystone artwork above the main corner windows (see below), the was pub was tied to Steward and Patteson for quite some time.  The reference date of 1895 eluding to a possible rebuilding at that time.


As well as a grocers, and the pub it is today, the location has also served as drayman's cottages and an off-license shop.  Dating from around 1900, on the forecourt of the pub (possibly where the beer garden is now?) there was a City Council public toilet used by the drivers of the Norwich Electric Tramway that operated in the city from 1900-1935.

On the front of the building, facing Unthank Road, there is a lovely covered outdoor beer garden which is shrouded in greenery.  There's even a nice large TV broadcasting the day/night sporting events outdoors.  On the inside, there are multiple TVs to watch sports on and even a pool table.

Eaton Cottage Beer Garden - Copyright James M Lambert 2015

Currently, and as such since 2004, one Mr. Philip Birchall has been running the pub.

Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Spheres - Hannah Lawrence

Spheres - Copyright James M Lambert 2015
Name: Spheres
Artist: Hannah Lawrence
Location:  52°37'22.82"N  /  1°17'10.76"E  << Click link for image of location

On the backside of the old Norwich and Norfolk Hospital you'll find an attractive, and relatively new addition to the sculpture scene here in the city.  Sitting just outside the rear entrance to the block of flats known as The Pavilion, and nestled in a large green courtyard, lies Hannah Lawrence's "Spheres".

This lovely, modern piece is the result of a collaborative competition launched in 2012 by members of the Persimmon Group, Charles Church (a property developer in Norwich) and the Norwich University of Arts.  It's aim was source local talent, in the form of a fine arts student winning the commission to design and create a lasting monument to enhance the Fellowes Plain site.

Fast forward to 2014 and the realized efforts of Ms. Lawrence now grace this lovely green space and is a welcome site for those traveling through the area.  To describe the monument itself, I take a quote from Hannah, as given to those at an interview from the Norwich University of Arts...

Spheres - Copyright James M Lambert 2015
“Spheres as a concept was developed with two key focuses. The first was to echo the previous use of the site as the Norwich and Norfolk hospital. I did this by using a representation of DNA wrapped around three spheres to emphasise the holistic nature of the work of the old hospital.  The second was to use the spheres to highlight the significance of the hospital site to communities. The progressive and spiral like form of the metal element of the sculpture was inspired by Norwich’s architecture, in particular the cathedral.”

Spheres - Copyright James M Lambert 2015

Further information in regards to the 2014 unveiling and reactions from those involved can be found by clicking HERE.

Interested in more projects from the Norwich University of Arts and their ideasfactory@NUA initiative.  Follow THIS LINK to visit their page and learn more about them and what they have going on... perhaps commission a project for yourself or business!

Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Charity - Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm

Charity & Pond - Copyright James M Lambert 2015
Name: Charity
Artist: Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm
Location:  52°37'18.67"N  /  1°17'12.30"E  << Click link for image of location

South of the Norwich city center and just as you come to the junction of Newmarket (A11) and Ipswich Roads, you may happen to spy a small bronze statuette residing over a quaint pond just in front of Leicester House (which in 1902 was the utilitarian, Edward Boardman Nurses' Home at the Norwich and Norfolk Hospital) at Fellowes (William Fellowes) Plain.

 Charity, as it is called, was designed by Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, a medalist and sculptor best known for the "Jubilee Head" of Queen Victoria on coinage (1887-1893 Sovereign), as well as the statue of the Duke of Wellington at Hyde Park Corner.  The small bronze piece was originally the main focal point of Thomas Jeckyll's, Boileau Fountain, which sat at the apex of the aforementioned street junction.  The fountain was commissioned by Sir John Boileau in memory of his wife, Catherine.  It addressed the needs of thirsty drivers and horses arriving into town along Newmarket and Ipswich Roads.

Boileau Fountain from historic photo superimposed over modern shot of it's one time location.
 "The main figure - a combination of mother and water nymph - offers her child a drink from a sea-shell ... The statue was set above the main drinking fountain facing the city ... emphasizing the gift of water..."  -- Sculpture for Norwich

Charity - Copyright James M Lambert 2015

In 1965, the fountain was dismantled and the statue was move to its' new home by the pond.  Below is the plaque inscription.

Charity Plaque Inscription - Copyright James M Lambert 2015

Charity Facing City - Copyright James M Lambert 2015

Notes:
- The plaster mold (click HERE to view it) used to create the statue is currently tucked away in a private Norfolk county collection.
- Small bits of the statue were repaired in 1999 by Imogen Paine Ltd.